Saturday, December 01, 2007

community projects


I love the spirit of Christmas. My only problem is I hate the rush and the number of commitments we make this time of year and then not enjoying myself! Every year Ben and I adopt a child from the Salvation Army tree. I can say it has gotten harder to do since I have given up my full time job and we have 2 extra people living off of Ben's income, but we have made it work every year. This year I have discovered several new opportunities to give back to others and I wanted to share some ideas with you, in case you want to start a family tradition!




Starry is a foster care program affiliated with the Texas Baptist Children's Home. I was asked b/c of my SU! business if I would put together life books for the foster children to document their journeys. My goal is to put together 10 books. I would LOVE to do it for C-mas, but I am trying to be realistic, so I am going to do one a month for the new year. If you would like to scrapbook a spread for one of my books let me know and I will get you the themes I still need for my books. Or if you have a book to donate that would be helpful to - 12x12 album, non gender specific.




Our church is sponsoring families in need this holiday. You can donate cash or unwrapped gifts for a child and they will get it to a family in need. Ben and I are hoping to adopt a family through our connect group.




The Round Rock serving center is in need of volunteers to stock their store on Saturdays - 12 - 4. They have a food pantry and clothing store. They are in need of food and coats at this time. You can contact Cynthia or Gloria for more information. 244-2431




Salvation Army Angel Tree is located at Lakeline Mall.




In the past Ben and I would give gift cards for local restaurants to the homeless on the street. This way we knew the money was going for food. Anna gave me an idea, that her friend would keep men's tube socks in her car and give out socks instead of cash. This time of year has to be hard, I know there are posers, but I just have to trust the Holy Spirit to know who and when to give to. AND I only give when Ben is with me!


1 comment:

Erica Wagner said...

Thanks for all of the good info.