Monday, March 07, 2011

come along way

When I got married a salad consisted of cucumbers, tomatoes and Catalina dressing, maybe to make it fancy I would eat bacon, cheese or sunflower seeds.  But, that was the extent of it.
This week I made the most creative salad to date.  It was nearing the end of the groceries and I needed something on my stomach before heading to Sam's.  It was an experiment for sure, but it was the best salad we have made.

handful of baby red and green romaine lettuce
handful of arugula
1/4 of a fresh mango diced
1/4 of red bell pepper diced
3 sun dried tomatoes sliced
crumbled feta
4 baked chicken nuggets, sliced (180 calories)
1 T. Cardini's Caesar dressing (80 calories)

This salad was so scrumptious!  I have been keeping sun dried tomatoes on hand b/c they last so much longer than fresh tomatoes and they are cheaper in the bulk aisle.
Caesar dressing is not the lowest calorie dressing & it is really high in fat (why I only used 1 tablespoon), so I am going to experiment, but it was what we had, so Ben suggested to try it.  Enjoy.

1 comment:

Erica Wagner said...

Sounds yummy!

I've made a salad with mango before. I made it based on a salad I had at Z Tejas. It was a steak and mango salad, with lettuce, tomato, onion, feta and spicy walnuts. The dressing was a simple balsamic. Very tasty!