Friday, January 09, 2009

XaiXai - my favorite party















This was the most unorganized party of the parties we attended, and I mean that in a good way. All of the parties were timed and the kids rotated between stations b/c of the number of children. This party only had 100-200 kids and we just let the kids do their own thing. The OCD teacher in me was worried about it, but we really got to interact with the kids more today b/c of it. You would meet a child and they would spend time with you where as before we worked with every child for just seconds, this way I actually bonded with certain children. I got to face paint, and actually hold babies so their siblings could enjoy the party. I held two little boys until they both fell asleep in my arms. I got to help plate the food for the children. I will never complain again about cooking for 4 mouths or cleaning up after. These women do this every day for hundreds of mouths and not with the modern conveniences I have. After the games had been played the children did a reenactment of the birth of Christ. Carol asked if I wanted to share about why we celebrate, of course I was all over that. BUT, man it was hard. Carol translated for me and every time I stopped talking, my brain quit and I had no idea what I was saying. It was then I decided I wanted to learn Portuguese. I could go on and on about this day, it was the best day, one that makes me "Africa"- sick, I want to go back so badly. I just wish you could all experience it, even for a day. It was so simple what we did, yet so monumental. Our kids here they get most of what they want and then some, yet this was it for these babies. A helicopter and some hair clips, meat only once a year. It was like heaven for them, and I got to be a part of it. I am sure they will not remember my face, but every day I remember a new face and I just cannot help but want to go back.

1 comment:

annie's mom said...

rest assured they remember you...