Thursday, January 01, 2009

the road goes on forever and the parties never end












We drove through some of the most beautiful country side to arrive at the border of Mozambique. There were armed soldiers at the checkpoints. I saw several young men with amputated legs walking on makeshift crutches. Kevin told us this is the area where Princess Di had been raising awareness about land mines. The guards were very intimidating. I saw one particular guard who tried taking a bag from this one ladies stash of groceries. One of the amputees was going back and forth from Mozambique to Swaziland. We think he was smuggling items in his back pack. The guard told him to turn back after 3rd or 4th time, but he would not. The guard walked over and hit his crutch with his baton. So, if the mosquitoes don't freak you out the Ak-47's will. After what seemed like an eternity at the Swaziland/Mozambique border we finally cleared customs and had our visa to enter Mozambique.
We drove to Maputo to meet Isaac and Carol and get rested for party #3. That night, they took us to the one of the nicest restaurants in Maputo for dinner. I had prawns which were some of the best seafood. I have ever had. We got to spend some time getting to know everyone at this dinner and we had a blast laughing all evening.
Party #3 was at Carol and Isaac's care point which is also their church. It was a great set up and a great party. The hardest part for me was seeing young children carrying siblings on their back and not being able to fully enjoy being a kid at the party. It really broke my heart. I tried to hold a baby for a young girl, but the baby would have nothing to do with me. We tied lots and lots of balloons. The children feasted on fried chicken and rice. Each child got a bag of candy and the boys got helicopters and the girls got bags of hairbows and bracelets.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Kristi,

I don't know if you remember me, I'm Aimee's sister. Anyway, I love reading your blog, and the pictures and stories from your trip to Africa have touched my heart. Makes you realize how good we have it here. Thanks for sharing.

Candice

annie's mom said...

keep the stories coming! I love these pictures and each child's face touches my heart. Thanks again for sharing....Candice is right, we are SO blessed.