Sunday, January 11, 2009

XaiXai - after the party








After the party at XaiXai was over we had quit a bit of food left over. We took it to an outreach area that one of Isaac's assistants is feeding children in the nearby area.  On the way we passed a water well where they come to draw water.  It was like a little subdivision and everyone draws water from that same well.  This is the frame of a house going up, guess I will not complain about the size of our rental any longer either.  The children were so excited to see us and about 30 of them came to eat.  We also passed out Pez candy to them, so no it is not an undocumented green tongue disease.  One of the most familiar ailments I saw was children with hernias.  I asked this baby's mother about it and she said it did not cause the girl pain.  As the children were coming over to eat, we gestured to a young woman to come eat, but she would not come over to us.  Isaac told me I could take her a plate.  I walked over to her hut and she was obviously pregnant.  She would not even look me in the eye.  She just kept looking at her feet, but she did take the plate of food.  She did not say anything to me.  I told Isaac about it and he said she had built her home on the property without seeking a land grant.  Now, they were preparing to build a shelter on this property she was having to move.  They are arranging for her to have a home built someone where else, but she was very bitter about it.  Her face is one I cannot stop thinking about.  She seemed so hopeless.  She had no life in her eyes.  This is one of my most memorable experiences.  I tried comforting a young baby so a mother could eat and noticed she had no diaper on, not even a cloth one.  Another modern convenience I will no longer complain about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

your pictures and stories bring tears to my eyes! it is so sad to know that the littlest things we take for granted are what these people would do anything to be able to take advantage of. i look up to you so much for going on that trip! love you much!

Mr. and Mrs. Bryan Neal said...

Absolutely love the picture of the kids with the colored tongues!! So cute!! Love the stories!! :)