Thursday, January 03, 2013

out pouring of love

A very close friend of mine, mother to five, that I know from our homeschool group's husband was in a very serious car accident on New Year's Eve.  He had life-threatening injuries, with more than 20 broken bones throughout his body.  I cannot believe the outpouring of support I have seen over the past 72 hours.  I am the care calendar coordinator for our home school group.  RRHOME - Home-educators Offering Moms Encouragement.  I signed on b/c a couple of moms had babies last year and no one coordinated meals for them during post-partum.  Ok, I had ulterior motives, but I was not the only pregnant Mama; four of us were due during a 3 week period.
Because, of my role in RRHOME, when my friend, T's husband was involved in the wreck I offered to coordinate meals.  When, the seriousness of his injuries were brought to life and we realized Mama T was going to be needed at the hospital, we knew the kids were going to be farmed out to multiple homes, probably over the next two weeks at the least.  As that role diminished I took on the role of organizing the children's social schedules and care for Mama T as she did not want to be alone at the hospital.  Remember at any moment Papa J could, you know.   That first night I was awake all night trying to figure out how I was going coordinate everyone's schedule and keep Mama T in the loop of the whereabouts of her children and make sure her needs were met also.  Thankfully during my 3 hour "nap" that night, someone else realized that role was too big for one person and brought me to my senses.  I gladly handed off care for Mama T.  I then became the kids' social director, and locater of  missing underwear.
All that being said, b/c of my role I have been cc'ed on a good majority of the communication that has been shared over the past 72 hours.  In this time I have received over 30+ emails with offers to take the kids out for a playdate, I have seen a stack of diapers donated for a baby (oh yeah, she is one of the Mamas who had a baby the same week I had HR), I have seen a pantry stocked, I have seen 12 loads of laundry washed, folded and returned.  I have seen horses, chickens, dogs, and a bird fed by 2 teenagers, I have seen plants covered and uncovered b/c of freeze warnings (Papa T is a landscaper assistant).  I have seen the downstairs of a 3,000 sq ft home cleaned by volunteers, I have seen 2 additional offers for maid service, and a washer and dryer donated.  I have seen another nursing mom take in an infant who refuses to take a bottle and nurse him so Mama T could stay at the hospital when an emergency arose.  I have seen restaurant cards, snacks, and juice boxes arrive for the children's host families so they do not have to cook while the children are in their home.  I have seen a lawyer offer her free services to a wife lost and confused with the mounds of paperwork that is being dropped in her lap.  I have seen hundreds of offers to bring a meal when the family does return home.
I have also seen some things I wish I did not have to see as I was at the hospital tonight when Papa J began to come out of his medically induced coma and Mama T had to witness her husband in the worst condition I have ever laid witness to.
I am so honored to belong to a body of mothers who are so passionate about their families step up and  take care of one of their own.  I am so honored to say I belong to the body of Christ who poured out their love on a family who is in so much distress.  I am so honored to know there are people out there who will even take care of a total stranger by praying, believing and offering a hand to a family just because they recognized a need.

No comments: