Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Celebration Serves

In honor of 9/11, our church wanted to have a serve Saturday where they honored different public servants in the community. The project continued to grow and I was asked to lead a new team downtown to distribute toiletries. I had almost 50 people sign up and all signed up to bring some kind of toiletries or food. However, on Saturday morning, of those 50, only maybe 5 showed up, but 20 others "just showed up". Unfortunately, most were empty handed b/c they did not know what to bring, they just wanted to serve. As I was loading the car with the very few supplies, I just prayed "Lord, please stretch this. I have never been downtown on a Saturday, so I just don't know what to expect. But as always this is your project not mine, so I am gonna trust you." When we arrived, a few men were setting up sound equipment for a church service. I introduced myself and he was so excited to see us there. He said no one ever comes to help on Saturday mornings especially not people with things to distribute. Ok, Lord, once again this is yours not mine, you gotta stretch our resources. I have 20 brand new people who have never been downtown, I don't want them to think this is what an outreach looks like, Lord please use us! Let them see what this ministry really looks like.Within half an hour, another church showed up with snacks and soft drinks. We had both of our tables out, but they were just sitting there with nothing on them. A man walked up with a large bag and dumped clothes on our table. I thought well, he is from our church, but no, he was part of another group. Within minutes, 15 more bags were dumped on our tables. Then this group, just stepped back and let our team help distribute the clothes.
I am not sure why I am ever surprised how God works, but He always provides. And almost every person asked, when they could do it again, what did we need, how could they help. It was one of those moments, when you know you are in place, I just had to be available. No planning on my part could have made that happen. It was all God.
Funny Antonio story...He came up to me and said "Miss Kristi, you're having a baby! I thought you were just eating too much. I was going to tell you, you needed to watch what you eat b/c you are getting fat, but now I see, you are having a baby!" I love what I get to do.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Cari said...

Wow! What an incredible testimony!

Marissa said...

So awesome!