Thursday, December 26, 2013

Christmas dinner

We did it, we actually cooked a Christmas meal at our home and it was really good. Steve blessed us at Thanksgiving with a turkey, so we decided to be brave and try to actually have a traditional Christmas meal.  First we brined the turkey and then roasted it.  Our sides were a Apple Cranberry Sweet Potato dish , that was actually a paleo dish I discovered.  We made what has become my signature dish, 24 hour salad.  Ben requested a pumpkin pie and since he would have been the only one to eat it, I ventured out to make this Turtle Pumpkin Pie, which was really good.

24 hour salad:
bag of spinach
bag of Romaine lettuce
half bag of frozen peas
1 bell pepper diced (any color)
2 stalks of lettuce diced
3 strips of cooked bacon diced
grated cheese of your choice (I use Gouda)
1 cup (or less) of mayonnaise (I used homemade paleo)
1 T (or less) of sugar 

Layer ingredients beginning with greens and refrigerate for 24 hours.  Toss salad when ready to serve.  
My MIL made this salad for Ben and it has always been his favorite.  I love to surprise him and make it for pot lucks.

No comments: