Wednesday, September 07, 2011

chocolate play-dough

This year we are going to cook at least once a week.  This week's project was making chocolate play-dough.  When I was teaching I loathed play-dough, it is a germ factory for young children. At home there are far less sneezes landing in my play-dough and I can make a new batch fairly easily.  I have a ton of play-dough recipes and this is my favorite one b/c the only ingredient I do not regularly keep on hand is the cream of tartar ($2.50 in the spice aisle).
Oh, if only it tasted as good as it smells.  This dough is NOT edible!
Ingredients:

2 cups flour
2 cups water
1 cup salt
4 T cream of tartar
2 t vegetable oil
food coloring

I added 2 t vanilla and 3 T cocoa instead of food coloring.
Mix flour, water, salt and cream of tartar and oil in suacepan.  Add vanilla and cocoa (or food coloring) to mixture.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat when dough forms a ball.  Cool 5 minutes before using.
We read the book Hershey's Kisses Addition Book when we were finished and made mini kisses to add with.


No comments: