Thursday, May 05, 2011

ouch!

About a month ago, I bent over to nurse my foot that a wooden chair had been dropped on and when I came up I had a bad pain in my lower back.  The pain worsened and I used the excuse to get a deep tissue massage that helped some.  .  Originally, I stressed my iliopsoas, (group of muscles that stretch the length of my lower back through pelvic bone into the hip flexer). I learned some stretches, strength exercises and thought I was good to go, let's move on with life.
Now 5 weeks later, I am still struggling with the same issue, but it has moved into my piriformis (butt check, more specifically outer left hip) and the spasms have begun to pinch my sciatic nerve (think nerve dr. told you to not lay on your back for 6 months of pregnancy to avoid pinching, yep, no longer preggo and now I pinch it.)  I finally gave in Tuesday and called the sports doctor all of my instructor friends recommend.  He recommended therapy, so yesterday I began physical therapy.  My range of motion has GREATLY improved, but now I feel like I have been kicked in the butt literally.   I have to do stretches and deep tissue rolling 3x a day.  He seems to think as long as I continue with the therapy for a couple of weeks and then I continue to do the deep tissue exercises that he has taught me I will make a full recovery and have complete range of motion again. 
So, in high school I pondered sports medicine for about a year as a possible career.  I choose not to b/c of all of the science and I did not want to have to learn "all of the muscles of the body."  Glad to know I have come full circle and I am now having to learn all of the muscles of the body!
I am unable to sit for any period of time b/c of the pain, when I stand up my left leg gives way, thus the lack of computer time lately.

No comments: