Thursday, July 08, 2010

hot dog outreach

We had the most memorable 4th of July this year. Ben and I took the girls, Lindsay, Troy, my mom and some friends I have known since we moved to Austin 10 years ago with us downtown to serve hot dogs. My mom sent out an e-mail to everyone she knew and the biggest outreach was on. We collected enough money to purchase chips, drinks, hot dogs and condiments for 240 people and a new table. She collected a garbage bag full of socks (that still was not enough), we had jeans 36x30 that the men were so grateful for. Three ladies who I never have clothes for were in Heaven with their selection of clothing. I had enough Bibles, that I brought 3 home. I was able to set up a men's table and women's table to "shop". My girls served hot dogs, my brother commented how surprisingly grateful everyone was, Lindsay never stopped smiling, all were blessed. It was the best day I have had downtown and I basically just got to stand back and watch it happen. I am so grateful to all of you who contributed and to all who have contributed in the past.
I have set aside a large shelf in our garage that I am continually collecting items for. I have loads of winter stuff already and starting collections of toiletries. I had several requests that I would like to pass on. I met Carl this weekend. He is in need of a backpack and sleeping bag, everything was stolen. Red needs some size 4 jeans. Michael requested a pair of size 12 shoes and we received requests for Spanish Bibles.  If you ever clean out or see a great deal on items, please call me and I would be happy to take things off your hands. I also have room in my kitchen for multiple bodies to make 250 hot dogs on a Sunday morning if you ever want to join us.
On a side note - the blessings came pouring in that Saturday that we all knew the Lord's hand was on this particular outreach. The Butter Krust Store had the exact number of buns needed - 31 pkgs on sale for 78 cents each. Cases of drinks were buy 3 get 4th free at grocery store. Chips were on sale, and they had the exact number of bags needed.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

mary.mimi said...

"Be still & know" is my thought.HE did HIS thing and we were able to watch and be blessed as everyone was fed and had soda & chips. They were so blown away by the "picnic" Loaves & fishes. Exactly enough..(we didnt collect baskets full afterwards) but left some for the birds that were hanging about.
I too want to thank everyone who had a part in this enormous blessing.
I too, think it was the 4th to remember.

Marissa said...

That is so awesome! Can't wait to come up and help out too! We will keep our eyes out for deals and things we can send your way!!!

lindsay said...

i enjoyed this SO much, kristi. troy was telling me on the ride home that he wants to go back for the next time you go. we both loved it so much, thanks for the invite!