Thursday, February 19, 2009

grocery game

I was talking to a friend about her grocery bill and this amazing website she uses to go shopping.  I am going to look into it, but after talking to her she was SHOCKED at MY grocery bill.  Last year, Ben and I started the cash system and for the most part it works.  I take my cash to the grocery store on the 1st and the 15th and if I go over my budget I don't purchase something.  
For instance this week I was craving cuties oranges, but they were $7 so, they were the last thing to go on the conveyor, when I hit my target I told the cashier I could not get them.  So, I told my friend my budget and she basically said, SHUT UP!  She spent almost twice that every week.  So, it got me talking with my husband and he wants me to start writing my ideas down.  Then, tonight my friend at church and I were talking and she too was like Shut up when I told her our budget. 
So, I tell you - every two weeks I go to the grocery store, on the 1st and the 15th, I take $150 with me for our family of 4 and that is our grocery shopping budget. What do you spend at the grocery store during the month?  Would you be interested if I started sharing weekly grocery shopping tips?  Would you share your ideas with me in case I do decide to finally write that book someday?
Disclaimer - I do not buy diapers or dog food on this budget - I go to Sam's for diapers, and formula when it was needed.

6 comments:

Colleen said...

How in the world do you only spend that much?! What store are you shopping at? Do you make a menu and stick to it? I have to know.

Marissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erica Wagner said...

I spend about $150.00 - $200.00 per week. But, we eat three meals a day on that... all of us. That amount of money is feeding us 3x/day x 4 people for 7 days. That is a total of 84 meals coming out of that grocery bill. With the exception of going out to eat one time over the weekend and we try not to spend over $30.00 (tip included) when we go out to eat.

Now, we do go to Sam's for non-grocery items - like Randy's allergy meds, protein bars, protein shakes, etc. That stuff adds up fast!

I think we're doing pretty good!

Marissa said...

I love hearing ways to save money! Any tips you have are always welcome! Since I have started staying home we have gone on a strict budget...usually only 150-200 a month on groceries, diapers and all. It's hard but worth it to stay home!

Mike and Amber Murphy said...

Hey,
I'd love to know how you do that. It is only the 2 of us, and I do pretty well with online coupons that go directly on my loyalty card, but I spend way more then that! The more money saving tips I can get the better!! Please share away!!

SAHM Coach said...

Kristi-

I have been doing The Grocery Game for almost 3 years!

I wish I had told you about it. You could have used me as a referral!!
matandheather@gmail.com