Monday, July 07, 2008

i won i won

I won the Blue Yonder's How I Spent My Summer Vacation Essay. I am so excited, I cannot remember the last time I won anything. It was so fun to write and reminisce about spending the summers at my Granny's house growing up. Thanks Stefani!

Each of my summers were very similar, I spent them at my Granny's, who lived on several acres of land. My great-aunt lived "up the hill" behind her and my Me-Maw lived a few hundred yards back "in the pasture". I spent most mornings at Granny's eating scrambled egss made by Paw-Paw and watching Granny's stories (Young and the Restless - quite happy to see after 25 years Botox has worked so well for Victor,quick glimpse at the gym last week). Afternoons were spent in my aunt's air conditioned Ceramic Shop sweeping, unloading kilns, pouring molds or painting knick knacks for relatives. Early evenings were spent calling up the deer by shaking a metal bucket of corn while calling them by name, Apple Jaw is the only name that comes to mind. Then, my mom would come pick me up to get a bath, eat dinner and start all over the next day. I am pretty sure a summer day can be accredited for learning to read a Simplicity pattern, use a sewing machine or peel plums for plum jelly. I also learned to do crossword puzzles, bait a hook with PawPaw, and check a trot line in the Guadalupe River. Granny and PawPaw owned a fireworks stand, so 2 weeks of every summer was spent with sparklers in hand and blackcats popping in the not so far distant. Thanks for the walk down Memory Lane.

1 comment:

Mrs. Jenk said...

Congrats- I can't wait to hear what you get!