Wednesday, July 30, 2008

busy week

What a week! I cannot believe how busy we have been. (cute pics to come later!)
LE turns 3 next month and I cannot believe how stressed I have made myself over planning the perfect party. I love this kid and I want to give her the world, but man at what cost? We rented a pool for her party through the Rec. Dept. and we were so excited about the idea of her party. We knew we had a great location and a great plan, then we visited the pool on a weekend (her party would have been August 16th) & umm, no. It was overcrowded and I think our kids were the only ones in swim diapers. So, we decided to do an indoor bounce house~ all-inclusive, 25 kids, parents free! Yippee, we are set! Then this morning I had a revelation, the kid does not know 25 kids. She knows, um maybe 9 or 10, Ben and I have friends with 25 kids, but not her. It dawned on me; I was doing this for me, not her. So, today we had a play date with friends at the Sprinkler Park and it hit me, why not do it on her birthday, (a week day) and just have her play friends. Yes, some of our favorite friends are not going to be able to make it b/c of work schedules, but I know you parents are secretly thanking me that you do not have to spend 2 - 3 of your 48 hours off at my 3-yr old's b-day party. So, weight is off my shoulders and we are going low-key, sprinkler park/cupcake party and a family BBQ back home for aunts and uncles.

When we got home from San Fran, Ben made a new family rule ~ if it does not work for our family, we are not going to stress to make it happen just b/c we are "supposed" to do it. I think I finally get what he means. We were having this big ole shin-dig for a child, who simply wants a cake and her friends (insert your child's name) to come play with her. Why do we make life so complicated, now new rule - take the lead from my kid sometimes.

2 comments:

Mrs. T said...

Bravo, girl! I applaud you and your revelation. Trust me, at her age she will NOT remember the details (the hours and hours and dollars and dollars that go into planning an extravaganza). Most importantly, she will know she is loved -- no matter what you do! You're an awesome mom!

Erica Wagner said...

Amen, sista! I have NEVER succumbed to extravagant birthday parties and my kids have always LOVED their parties! And I do too... :)