Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Top Ten - home school must haves

I cannot limit this list to 10!!

1. books - We cannot go a day without a read-aloud, quiet reading time, Bible reading, and Daddy reading Hank the Cow Dog before bed.
2. computer/internet - I am always searching pinterest for new ideas for the classroom, lesson plans, organization, recipes and now home ideas.
3. map pencils - the girls preferred medium for drawing, which is a daily activity in our home.
4. our classroom space (I have no idea how people hs at their kitchen table)
5. library card - we use the library card for our history and science read-alouds.  Our present science regimend is to read a non-fiction science book, dictate about what we read and then illustrate a picture.  For this age, it has been working very well.  I have not found a science curriculum that has appealed to me yet.
6. lesson plans- Ben helped me to create a spreadsheet that I print out each week with the girls plans for each day.  There is no way I could stay on track without those plans.
7. daily checklist - Ben also created the girl's daily checklist for every day of the week.  They have become so self-sufficient in many of their subjects.  I can give them a check list before I head to class and come back and they have completed several of their assignments without anyone having to remind them.  I fill the checklist out at the beginning of the week with all of their assignments and they mark off their lists when they complete it.
8. Weekly folders - I found pocket folders which are spiral-ringed together.  At the beginning of the week I place all of their assignments along with their daily checklists in each day's pockets.  No last minute running upstairs to scan and print pages and everything is gathered for them to work on at their own pace and in whatever order they want to do their work.
9. Antique school desk - I love the girl's desk, it is still my favorite part of the classroom.
10. trampoline - Any time the girls get fidgety or I need 10 minutes I send them to the backyard to jump.  I am so grateful to a friend who called us when her neighbor was getting rid of theirs.
honorable mentions- easel and dry erase markers - Without fail, Bella draws us a picture every morning and a daily message, R2's naptime - no explanation needed, finished basket - where finished work is placed for me to look over, support of Daddy Richards and his ability to work from home.
Top Ten Tuesday at Many Little Blessings

1 comment:

Holly Baker said...

You have totally answered a delimma for me. I have heard of these workbox systems to help a child be independent and efficient. However, we have a small house and can't find the space for such an object. Your checklist and folder idea is perfect. Just wanted to let you know someone is reading your posts. I have looked at every homeschool tagged post you have created. Thank you for documenting your experiences.