Monday, May 28, 2012

garden zucchini

If you are on pinterest, you have seen all of my recent pins on zucchini.  We have one zucchini plant and I already cannot keep up with how much it is producing.
This weekend, we made what I shall call OMG zucchini bread.  It was the best bread I have ever made. I used coconut oil for oil and I am not sure if that changed the flavor any.  I think next time I will try honey to replace the white sugar.
For lunch, I made zucchini cakes.  I would compare them to crab cakes.  Ben, Bella and I really liked them, LE made herself a pb and j sandwich.  She has at least tried everything I have made if it comes from the garden.  I served the cakes with ranch dressing, but I was wondering if they would be good with marinara sauce.  I also substituted Italian bread crumbs for the panko crumbs, just b/c that was what I had on hand.  I think the Italian flavor probably changed the flavor considerably.
I made recipes with this one zucchini.
Cucumbers and the cherry tomatoes are ready to picked and it is crazy how much more flavor a home-grown tomato has than the store bought.  LE will eat them from the garden, but will not touch the store bought ones.

No comments: