Tuesday, July 12, 2011

three pepper salad

I am cutting back on carbs over the next few weeks (I have becomed quite obsessed with them lately and wanted to get it in check.)  In that attempt, I needed to discover more sides, primarily veggies.  The vegetable aisle is so colorful and I found a recipe using my fave ingredients, colorful bell peppers.  Oh yeah, and we love Mediterranean food.

1 European cucumber (or 2 regular cucumbers)

1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 yellow bell pepper
1/2 orange bell pepper
1 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
1/2 cup Kalamata olives (pitted and cut in half)
1/4 cup red onion, cut in 1/2 inch pieces (optional - I added to Ben's salad)
1/2 cup diced Feta cheese
1/2 cup Newman's Own Olive Oil and Vinegar Dressing
1 tsp. dried oregano
fresh ground black pepper to taste

Mix oregano into salad dressing, set aside - I did not use all of the dressing.

Peel cucumber in strips, leaving some green stripes lengthwise. Cut in half lengthwise, then in slices. Dice peppers in 3/4 inch pieces.
Combine cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, olives, and onion and toss with desired amount of salad dressing. Sprinkle Feta cheese over salad and grind on black pepper, then serve immediately. (Kalyn's Kitchen)

No comments: