Sunday, June 27, 2010

heartbroken


I have shared stories in hopes to trigger your hearts. Some used to comment and send encouragement, but then after awhile the comments stopped coming and I felt like a nag, so I stopped sharing and asking for help.
For the 3rd month in a row, I went downtown with my 24 sandwiches and 2 cases of water and my one friend, Colleen.  I also had 3 large black trashbags of shoes, t-shirts, ballcaps and 10 Bibles ($1 a piece from Dollar General). 24 sandwiches, 2 cases of water and Colleen's stash of breakfast tacos has always been enough, and I had so many clothes, I knew it was going to be a great day. 
As I drove into the parking lot, I was swarmed by over 200 people.  Colleen and I were the only two with anything.  Within a minute all of our food & water was gone.   The Bibles were gone faster than that.  I had people asking me for Bibles, I had people asking for more food.  That has never happened before.  
As I drove home, all I could think about was you, my readers.  Do you hear Christ's voice telling you to do something? 
Colleen and I fed breakfast to maybe 50 people this morning, but there was so many more who went hungry.  What hurt the most was they were asking for Bibles, the true food and I could not give it to them.  Men were asking me for socks (I always steal a couple a pair of Ben's socks and today I did not.) - which one of you could clean out yor husband's sock drawer and give a pair of socks?!  Every single one of you can make a difference.  Maybe the homeless or orphans in Africa is not where God is tugging on your heart.  I need your help.  I need more resources, I cannot do this on my own.  I am asking you to please open your heart to this ministry.

3 comments:

Paper Potter said...

I feel the Lord leading me into another season of life, and I have been getting prepared for the change that is coming. One thing that I have had on my heart solidly for more than a month is how much "stuff" we have, and how much I want to give it all away. I'm not teaching at all during the month of July, and you've been the spark today to show me what this week will be like for me. Every drawer, every closet, every cabinet. Socks, boxers, pants, shirts ..... linens, coats .... it's all gotta go!

lindsay said...

can we go this weekend?! i'll help!

mary.mimi said...

Thank you..for being the hands that stretched beyond their means to be Jesus-in-skin...for sharing your heart and ache..
Not sure exactly how this will play out, but I am in a stretching season too..I pray for eyes that see as HE sees and a heart that breaks for what breaks HIS...
COUNT ME IN!!!How do we help?
Now to plan the next step!!
Was it so crowded because of the change in weekend..or is this normal!!