Saturday, June 20, 2009

flashback




My Paw-Paw, my mom's dad, Lefty as he was known was a guy's guy. He was just the cool guy that everyone wanted to be friends with (sorry Mom and Gran, I am sure you are already crying by now too) . He played ball, batted left-handed, thus the name (there is only ONE kind of ball in my family). He fished, and caught the biggest catfish I have ever seen, every time the Guadalupe flooded. He wore the biggest, bulkiest, brightest, yellow coat that anyone would need in Texas, thus the reason yellow is my fave color still to this day. He grew peaches in his yard, the kind that would make your lips itch b/c you would pick them off the tree and eat them without washing them first. He went to every sporting event that my brothers ever played and he always had his cowbell, always.
A couple of weeks ago, we went to see the Austin Outlaws women's professional football league and behind us sat a grandma rooting her 20-something granddaughter on with a cowbell. LE wanted to ring it, so I asked the grandma and she could not resist my little blondie. Both girls rang it and I flashbacked to Antler Stadium.
My grandfather passed away 12 years ago this past spring, so to see pics of my girls rooting on their uncles with their Paw-Paw and my Paw-Paw's cowbell, well you can imagine I am balling my eyes out now trying to type.
Happy Father's Day to all the Paw-Paws, PopPops and Grandpas this weekend. We love you.

1 comment:

Mr. and Mrs. Bryan Neal said...

The other team in the outfield was commenting about the cowbells!!