Wednesday, June 22, 2011

facebook rant

Do you facebook?  I used to joke when my friends joined "welcome to the dark side."  At the time I was spending hours on the social network, not socializing but stalking (term for looking at friend's pics, status...)  But, lately when I log on, I am just getting more and more frustrated.  I have become quite sick of it to tell the truth.  I hate the sense of false friendship, the sense of you are a part of someone's life b/c you see them on FB.  My friend Erica blogged about this not too long ago & maybe it was the key opening the door, but really I am done with it.  I still have to use it for communication purposes b/c I do not have people's e-mails (b/c of my google acct getting hacked). 
I also hate finding out news via facebook.  I guess it could be extended to blogs, but maybe it is b/c my closest friends seem to have blogs and I still get to see them and communicate in real time.  Blogs seem to go into deeper details and if I don't feel like reading a blog I don't have to.  On facebook 1) info is so vague and 2) let's be honest do I need to know every time your kid sneezes?  3) Do I really even know 600 people? and 600 people can be a wee bit noisy (I tried eliminating friends, but still noise pollution galore with tweets and retweets). 
Yes, I am in a mood, and maybe facebook is the brunt but I have blogged this post multiple times and then deleted it.  I wanted to let those of you whom I see on FB I am trying to not be on there, so if you want me to know something please pick up the phone b/c I will not be scrolling pages upon pages to see what's going on any more.

5 comments:

Shileen said...

I totally agree. I do love having blogs that our close friends have and I read, but the mass market news and useless info on facebook seems pointless. I have several times thought of deleting it but if I did I wouldn't know anything about anything going on. So everyone would have to quit at once and go back to old fashioned communication styles :)

Erica Wagner said...

Right there with ya sista! I loathe having to get "news" from people via Facebook. I could go on and on, but you know my heart on this!

Pam said...

Ok, so I started typing in this lil' box yesterday and stopped but last night I got a fb message that reminded me why I love fb and prompted me to start this comment again;)
Ok, so here is my 2cents worth;)
*I post LOADS of random kid stories and I know the general public really does not care but my family and close friends totally get it. Everyone else can hide me or de-friend me;)

*Noise control, I HIDE EVERYTHING, from Twitter feeds to games to people that I want to be friends with (like long lost cousins that I don't have the heart to decline them.)but don't want to see every sneeze. I seriously hide anyone I don't want to pop up everyday but I like to check in on every once in a while.

*Friend selection, one pet peeve I have is people that do not know me that want to be my friend just bc we have 52+ mutual friends, DECLINE! I have really enjoyed connecting with old friends and new ones and more importantly I am leaving an imprint on someones life! Even through all of the silly random kid stories, mushy kissy face pictures, etc.

*My last point, I promise;) So last night I received this fb message from a girl that was truly my enemy in HS. We have, bc of a reunion a few yrs ago and time/ growth become friends and are friends on fb. Her son was diagnosed with a rare heart mal-function AND Downs when she was pregnant with him. From the time she posted a prayer request on FB I began praying for God to open the door for me to minister to her. I posted scripture and a quick note of We are praying for Baby Karter, on her wall and ours. He is now 6mos old (or so) and last night she sent me this message.

Hey Pam! I need a favor ;);) I'm in Houston dont have a Bible available to me right now and I know that you have prolly memorized most of it (I admire you for that). A friend of mine whom I met at the Ronald McDonald House has a boy with brain cancer and he is loosing his battle. Hospice came and visited them today and although I have a son with his own battles I cannot imagine what she's going thru. I know there is several versus is the Bible about children leaving us and for us to be strong but since I can't look right now could you pls find me a verse that fits?


I know, this is a book, I AM SORRY!!! So here is the deal, because I poured into her, she is now wanting to pour into others. Because of FB, God is pulling on her heartstrings. You really have no idea HOW many people you touch, I am telling you I love fb for the witnessing tool it is! Last story I swear! I posted Karey Cannon's story on fb at the beginning and later his video they showed at church. About a month later I was was on one of our friend's dad's walls. He is NOT a CHRISTIAN AND HE HAD SHARED THE VIDEO! HELLLOOOO!!!! I was in tears, here was someone we would never have the opportunity to share our faith with in conversation but here he had seen it and the passed it along to his 200+ friends!!!

Ok that is it, not another point;)
Whether you stick around on fb or not I AM COMING TO SEE YOU!!! BC I want to further our friendship face to face not status to status! Love you!!! And again I apologize for blogging on your comments;)

Pam said...

Dang! I didn't realize it was that long!! Bwahahahahaha!

Carri said...

I agree!! I've had these thoughts many times too. I post stuff on fb because I'm too lazy to blog right now! People (myself included) try to sound too funny or smart or perfect on their status, and it drives me crazy. But I guess blogs can be like that too. I enjoy fb, but it does waste my time. I have hidden a few people too, if I am tired of hearing what they gave to say. But I haven't hidden you :)