Tuesday, February 01, 2011

long term goals

One month down, eleven to go...
Our new year's goals had the typical ones, take off the baby weight (both Ben & I) & get more organized (with chores, home school, fitness, and no sleep).  The one goal we did not share with many people has proven to be the easiest.  Ben & I gave up our eating out part of the budget.  We have set aside cash for a monthly date night, but other than that we will not be eating at fast food joints, ordering pizza or making a Sonic drink run.  If invited out and we have date money left over we will do restaurants with friends and family. 
We are saving up for a big family vacation.  More importantly with our budgeting system that we have used the past 2 years I was able to see how much we spent on eating out.  It made my stomach turn.  I told a few people about our plans and I got the "whatever" look or even better "whatever" comments.  But truth be told I have not wanted to.  I have been purposeful in our meal planning. We keep a case of cokes in the spare fridge for those special occasions that used to call for a sonic run.  We make gourmet pizzas for those nights and my next goal is to learn to make our own sushi rolls.  Hey, I lived in a 900 sq foot duplex for 2 1/2 years, I survived that I think I can survive without Sonic and Chick-Fil-A.

4 comments:

Cari said...

Good for you! We don't really have time during the week to eat out, so if we do it's on the weekends and at a restaurant where we can find healthy food. Ya'll can definitely keep this up!! We believe in you!

mary.mimi said...

"they" say if you do something for 30 days it becomes a HABIT...so now you have the HABIT of not eating out, should be a breeze now :)
Proud of ya and for ya..and think of the healthy habits you are training the girls.
Do not grow weary in well doing.
You are my hero :)
Besides if "they" are talking about you, "they" are leaving someone else alone!!

Carri said...

Way to go! We are also eating out a lot less and I don't miss it either. When I do grab fast food now it just tastes soo salty to me. I made my own sushi the other day--and it was GOOD!!!! Seb loved it too! It took care of the craving and cost a couple bucks vs. the price at a sushi bar.

MikeandCharlsie said...

Good for you!!! I think that is a great plan. Where will y'all go for your vacation?