Tuesday, October 05, 2010

memory garden

My grandfather was the type who was always outside.  He made this flower bed shaped like a star and had the American flag and Texas flag poles added to it.  He always flew the flags proudly.  When he got sick earlier this spring, this area of the yard became overgrown with thistles.  When we went home for the funeral I knew I wanted to do something special for Grandma and to help her clean up the area.  I wish I had a before pic of the thistles in this bed, they were up to my waist.  My dad, Grandma and I worked all morning to pull them up.  Grandma's birthday was a few weeks after he passed away, so that next morning I took her to Lowe's and told her to pick out anything she wanted to do the beds.  We worked again all that afternoon to plant them.  This past weekend, the girls and I got to go see the beds we helped plant.  Grandma has kept them weeded and watered all summer. 

3 comments:

kayjsmith said...

i remember helping papaw make this. i was down visiting from cali and we planted red white and blue flowers all in it.

lindsay said...

i love this kristi.... such a good memory.

muriel said...

I loved this article. And I just came across this site www.plantablepictures.com and found just what i'd been searching for for years! Gorgeous weather resistant frames to plant in the ground in my memory garden! I'm ordering one right now! :)