Thursday, March 26, 2009

grocery tip #3

I have many tips from other bloggers, so please forgive me if I don't give proper credit if I learned this from you, just know I appreciate it.
So, when you shop every other week it is hard to keep fresh produce. I do use the Debbie Meyer green bags and so far they seem to work, mainly you have to have enough to put in them. Usually when there is anything fresh in the house it gets eaten. I have learned to buy alot of frozen items too, that are great for cooking. Anna taught me about frozen pre-chopped onions. At first I was very hesitant on purchasing them, but when I realized I never had to chop another onion, I danced a little jig! A bag is 99 cents and it is enough for about 6-7 meals. I also loved to purchase herbs from the bulk aisle. This tip is from Erica. I usually spend all of 8 cents on a bag of herbs. Do you know pre-bottled herbs should be tossed out at 2 months after opening. Just keep your original bottle and restock, at 8 cents you can afford to buy herbs each week.
I also buy toilet paper, dog food, paper towels, laundry detergent in bulk. Then, I only purchase one each shopping trip. I also try to purchase it even I don't need it right away on months when I am under budget. You know it will not go bad and you are gonna need it some day.

No comments: