Saturday, March 21, 2009

devaluing words

I am not sure devaluing is a real word, OK it is according to spell check.  I have had this thought on my mind for a few months and then last night around 4 I woke up and it was very clear to me that I have been devaluing some very powerful words.  See, I often say things like wow, "I love that pink dress or I love Meg Ryan".  I do not love these things, I like them a lot, but it is not love.  I mean I do not even know Meg Ryan.  So, it just really got me thinking what do my loved ones think when I tell them I love them.  Do they know I value them more than pizza?  Is it just something I say when I hang up the phone, is it heartfelt words or just something that slips off the tongue.  I think we as a society just toss the word around so carelessly.  I mean, I know I do anyways.  I want my girls to know real love, not some temporary feeling that a new pair of shoes gives. 
Then, I started thinking about Christ's love for us.  I mean He died for me even though I did not deserve it. That is love, true unconditional love, no strings attached, holes in his hands kind of love.     

No comments: