Thursday, June 19, 2008

5th grade P.E. all over again

Today, Erica and I took circuit (flashback to the very first group class I took at the Y). Our friend, Tina was subbing in the class, so I was excited when she walked in the door. Until, the first words out of her mouth was "today is going to be h-e-double hockey sticks." So after running around b-ball court 3 or 4x, first exercise ~ push-ups (on toes), then a suicide, 9 push-ups then a suicide...I remember these quite well from Coach Knipp in elementary school, run down 1/4 court, touch floor, run back, run down 1/2 court, touch, run back, 3/4 court, back, then full court and back. I was already hurting, ego and all, I came in last place, just like elementary school. We did this rotation all the way from 10 push-ups down to 1 push-up. Next exercise, toss medicine ball to partner as you run side step down basketball court & back, then lay down on floor with partner and do an ab exercise (4x). Next, station exercise was really awesome, but it was 15 minutes of core work. Now, Run around b-ball court 3x. Next, big killer of ego and body, PLEASE Jill, do not do this to your poor Jr. high kiddos this fall - Step onto risers, kick alternating knee up while holding a 6 lb weight...I am 4'10, a basketball riser is tough for the avg. height person, but this kicked my butt. 10x each leg, then do alternating side squats across the gym, come back do 9x, squats, 8x...5 reps. THEN, she asks do you have anything left, should have kept my mouth shut - I actually said yes...suicides again, while your partner did wall sits, "run Erica, for the love of God, run fast!" Poor thing, had the girl w/ the shortest legs in class to be her partner! I am so tired today, my heart rate was good the whole time, but man I am feeling the burn today! I did reward myself with a small sweet tea (needed the caffeine). I am announcing today, my new fitness goal...I want to run the 1/2 marathon in November in San Antonio, full marathon by age 40. I hate to run, the only time I run now is to get out of the rain, but I want one of those Marcus' medals on my office wall.

2 comments:

Erica Wagner said...

Yes, today reminded me of track practice when we had to practice indoors on rain-out days!

I'm exhausted too. I almost fell asleep watching the girls at swimming lessons. Then, I remembered once I got home that my blood sugar had probably plummeted and quickly ate. Felt much better after that.

Now, I'm just tired.

Awesome goal you set for yourself! Sorry I can't join you... nuthin' 'bout a marathon sounds fun to me. But, I may sign up for a 5K with you!

Mrs. Jenk said...

GOod for you- a half would be awesome. Talk to Marcus if you want a running buddy or advice.