Thursday, August 23, 2007

Mack Brown Women's Clinic

My neighbor and good friend, Jane invited to the Mack Brown (University of Texas football coach) Women's Clinic tonight. We had a great night of food and desserts and were introduced to this year's coaching staff. Coach Brown had this ginormous line of psycho ladies lined up, literally 100's of women lined up for autographs and pictures during the night. Jane was a sweetheart and offered to wait in line with me so I could get an autograph, but I told her it was OK, I would have gotten it for my brothers and they had one already. The highlight of my night came after the event. Jane and I went to the Bevo Museum in the bottom floor and we were walking around. We were enjoying a night out without the kids and I am a history nerd so I was enjoying the knowledge. (Did you know the Schreiner's donated two Bevo's?) I noticed her and I were 2 of 4 people in the museum by the time we were finished reading so I decided to go back up to see if I could get a closer glimpse of Mack. As I walk off the elevator there he stands with his wife Sally and two or three other coaches. He walks over to me and greets me and hugs me and asked if I was looking for him. "Did I come back for an autograph?" told him yeah, but he was going home so it was OK. Nope, he signed my name badge and thanked me for coming. We chatted a bit about Colt McCoy and his team and then he held the elevator for me and I rode the elevator down with him, his wife and a couple of his coaches. I know a couple of famous people and famous people usually are not this nice, especially not at the end of the day and especially when there isn't a crowd watching their every move. He was genuinely nice, I mean exceptionally nice. I was a fan of Longhorn football before tonight, but after my evening I LOVE LONGHORN FOOTBALL.
They invited all of the player's moms to the event and there was a question and answer session. I had no idea all of the things they did for the players. Each player has one of 7 support adults who help them transition into college life and then if need be into the NFL. The players have their support person's phone number to call any time of day. They are like their mom or dad on campus. She was telling about one of the kids who came from a town of 600 and his dorm had 3,600 students. Two players came out and answered questions Chris Ogbonnaya and Robert Killebrew. They had door prizes, super nice door prizes, but we did not win any. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and had a blast. Thanks Jane! I will be waiting for my pics, I did not take my camera after last year's game when they told me I could not take into the stadium!
Marissa, you are my special guest next year!

1 comment:

Mr. and Mrs. Bryan Neal said...

I guess we know who your favorite sister-in-law is NOW!!! haha :)