Friday, December 28, 2012

homemade C-mas: woodblock picture frames

This is my favorite gift I gave, I wish I could take credit for it, but I copied it from a gift Anna gave me a few Christmases back.  I purchased a 2x8 piece of lumber, it was not as high of a grade as I used for the grandmother's wall hangings.  Ben cut the boards into 7" squares (confusion alert: why is it a 2x8, if it is only seven inches wide?)
We then painted the blocks a chocolate brown and roughed up the edges to give them an antique look.  I modge podged scrapbook paper cut into 6 3/4" squares. To do this, put a very thin layer of modge podge on the front of your woodblock, then adhere the paper square.  When it is dry add another very thin layer of modge podge.  It is key to use very little adhesive or your paper will bubble up.  
I purchased magnetic bulldog binder clips  from Office Depot and removed the magnet.  You can hot glue your binder clip, but Ben screwed my into the wood to make it last longer and so the binder would lay flat.  
I added embellishments including clear scrapbook stickers with words like miracles, Believe and Cherish.  As I asking the clerk to cut my "stringy stuff" (as described by Ben) that I found in the upholstery aisle, I noticed two coordinating pieces of Tiffany blue paisley and chevron remnants that I had her cut into 1/4 yards for me.  I cut the remnants into 1 1/2" strips and then tied the two pieces together with a small knot.  I hot glued the upholstery embellishments across the top and then hot glued the knotted fabric bow to the top.  
I loved how they turned out.  I plan to make myself a set of four to hang on the wall to easily change out pictures of my kiddos.  I may have to stash a few in my gift closet for future birthday gifts.  

1 comment: