Saturday, December 11, 2010

violated

On Wednesday morning, I received an e-mail from google that stated I had my same password for a certain amount of time and they recommended I update my password.  I logged into my account and when I pushed enter it said server unavailable.  I thought nothing else of it b/c our server is often unavailable.  The e-mail looked official, google's logo, google's login box, no reason for me to think anything suspicious.  Nope, I was dooped. 
On Thursday morning, I got my first phone call around 9:15 and after that my phone beeped all day - texts and calls. Someone had hacked my e-mail and sent an e-mail to almost all 400 contacts in my google account. Ben instantly reported to google and they shut my account.  He also changed all of his passwords and our facebook passwords.  After an hour of questions from google trying to figure out I was who I said I was, we waited again - 24 hours this time.
On Friday morning, Ben had access to my GMail, but it was wiped clean- email contacts, every email I had saved from the past 7 years, everything in the trash box. sent box, everything cleaned out and my blog was gone.  I just started praying, I could live without my e-mail, I would even create a new e-mail if I had to, but please not my blog.  It was my journal from the past 4 years, everything, my outlet.  After about an hour, Ben was able to retrieve it.  Words cannot describe the gratitude for him working to get it back.
Ben has asked me what I learned, and I will think twice about anything, but I still do not what I would have done differently.  It was not like someone asking me for a password - I thought I was logging into my account.  I am naive I know, but now I just get to be suspicious too.  I hate that the world is so cynical.  I can say I am  very thankful to have had different passwords for different accounts b/c they tried to hack into facebook too.
Please e-mail so I can have your email address too.

1 comment:

Marissa said...

So glad Ben was able to get your blog back!!!